Building permits and other permits

There are two types of permits in construction legislation, permits and notifications. It is important that you know whether the measure you intend to carry out requires one of these permits. So find out well before you start work.

You can find out more either by contacting the Environment and Construction Unit or by reading the information on this website.

If you already know what is required, you can go to the application forms or e-services.

Application forms should be sent to:

Sollefteå Municipality

City Environment and Construction Unit


Application for a permit

Building permits, land use permits and demolition permits are applied for on the same form/service. Information on how to fill in the form is available on it.

When applying for a building permit, drawings with plans, facades and sections as well as a site plan must be attached. This is sufficient for small cases. In the case of alterations, the plans must show which parts are new, which are existing and which may be demolished.

In the case of slightly larger measures, an inspector must also be notified and additional documentation must usually be submitted.

Examples of this could be:

  • fire safety documentation
  • VA, ventilation and construction description
  • energy balance calculation
  • accessibility description

A site plan and a ground section must be attached to the application for a land use permit:

  • On the site plan, the area affected must be shown with plus heights before and after the measure.
  • The ground plan shall show the levels before and after the measure and the levels for connection to buildings, driveways, streets and roads.

This requires a notification permit

For some measures that do not require a building permit, you still need to notify the Environment and Building Department.

Notifiable measures:

  • Installation of fireplace and flue
  • Demolition of non-additional buildings outside the zoning area
  • Installation or alteration of lifts
  • Installation or alteration of ventilation, water and sewerage systems
  • Alteration of the layout of the building
  • Interventions in the load-bearing structure of the building
  • Changes affecting the fire protection of the building
  • Maintenance of buildings of special conservation value

This requires a building permit

If you want to know what requires a building permit, you first need to find out whether your property is located in a zoning area or in a built-up area. If you live outside these areas, there are certain exemptions from the building permit requirement, especially for one- and two-family houses.

This is what you need a building permit for

  • Construct building and make extension.
  • Substantially change the use of the premises/building and convert the premises/building to residential use.
  • Facilities such as campgrounds, golf courses, sports fields, marinas, warehouses, material yards, cisterns, wind turbines, masts, walls, planks and parking lots and substantial alteration thereof.
  • alterations to the façade of buildings in the zoning area which significantly affect the appearance of the building.
  • Signs and substantial alterations thereto in the zoning area.

Certain detailed plans and zoning regulations may provide for an increased obligation to obtain a building permit in addition to those mentioned above, as well as a reduced obligation to obtain a permit.

This is exempt from building permits

Some measures are exempt from planning permission as of 2 July 2014. However, in these cases, you must notify the municipality and obtain a start-up permit before you can promise to start building. This applies to the following measures:

  • One or more additional buildings of a total of 25 m² in the immediate vicinity of an existing one- or two-family house, so-called Attefallshus.
  • Additions of no more than 15 m² to a one- or two-family house.
  • the installation of an additional dwelling in a single-family dwelling
  • Construction of a maximum of two dormer windows on a one- or two-family dwelling that does not already have dormer windows.

Buildings for agricultural, forestry or fishing purposes are exempted from the building permit requirement. Some exemptions also exist for the County Council and the Armed Forces.

This requires a land permit

In areas with a zoning plan, you need to apply for a land use permit if excavation or filling will change the elevation of land or land for public use by more than half a metre on average.

If a certain elevation is specified in the plan, a land use permit is not required to raise or lower the ground surface to that level.

Planning permission is not required outside the zoning area, but permission from other authorities or administrations may be required.

This requires a demolition permit

In areas with a zoning plan, you need to apply for a demolition permit to demolish a building.

In addition to the information requested on the demolition permit form, a site plan, an environmental inventory and a demolition plan must be attached to the application documents.

Processing of building permits

The maximum processing time for a building permit case is ten weeks from the date your application is complete. This time may be extended by a further ten weeks if necessary to assess the case.

Minor cases

Smaller cases in accordance with the zoning plan or outside the zoning plan where there are no interested parties have a processing time of between a few days and a few weeks.

Examples of minor cases are:

  • carport
  • garage
  • minor extensions to residential buildings
  • replacement buildings

Decisions are made by the administrator with delegation from the municipal council or the board of governors.

Starting clearance

Before the measure can begin, a start-up notice must be issued by the building inspector. The start-up notice is issued if the technical requirements for the measure can be expected to be met.

Control plan and documentation

All cases need a control plan and in some cases also documentation of the execution before a start-up permit can be issued. Once the measure has been completed, the developer must verify the points contained in the control plan and then submit it to the Environment and Building Department with the request for a final clearance.

Bigger cases

The handling of major cases begins with a construction committee in which various representatives of the Environment and Construction Unit participate. An assessment is made of the documents received and whether the case needs to be supplemented. Once the case is complete and the interested parties have had the opportunity to express their views, it is passed on to the municipal council or the JAC for a decision. Before the measure can begin, a start-up notice is required. This is issued by the building inspector after a recorded technical consultation with the developer and the notified inspector.

The start-up notice also establishes an inspection plan drawn up by the developer and the inspection officer. During the implementation of the measure, the building inspector must carry out a visit to the site and a final consultation on the site with the participation of the developer and the person responsible for the inspection. At this meeting, the inspector will report on the inspections carried out, give an assessment of the work carried out and submit any documentation requested. If everything is in order, the building inspector issues a final certificate and the building can then be put into use.

Fees for planning and construction activities

The cost of processing building permits, notifications, shoreline protection, detailed plans and the like in Sollefteå municipality was set by the municipal council on 27 October 2014.

In the link menu you will find the tariff for planning and building activities, where you can see how different calculations are made. There is also a summary of how much the fee is for different types of building permits and notifications.

The building permit fee depends on the size of the measure, the price base and the expected complexity of the procedure.