Meet Per, champion model builder
Per Kjelltoft is a Swedish master in building models of military vehicles.
Per started creating his amazingly detailed models of military vehicles in authentic environments ten years ago, and in 2012, he began to compete in various competitions.
He was previously a professional officer, but now he works at BAE Systems Hägglunds in Örnsköldsvik. And many of the prototypes for his models have been manufactured precisely at BAE Systems Hägglunds.
- Building a finished model takes about a pregnancy (nine months), says Per with a laugh.
He looks for pictures and drawings on the internet to use as a template. He then starts the creative process of using different materials and techniques to create fantastic models of everything from armoured vehicles to combat vehicles 90 with equipment, crew and environments.
Per is actually from Gothenburg but came to Sollefteå to do his military service at the I21 when he was 19. After military service, he became an officer on I21 and was captain when I21 was shut down in 2000.
Even after the regiment was disbanded, he has become loyal to Sollefteå, still lives in the town and commutes to work at BAE Systems Hägglunds in Örnsköldsvik. In addition, he is a home guard soldier in the home guard battalion at home in Sollefteå.
A little extra about Per:
- He builds his models late at night and early in the morning when the rest of the family sleeps.
- He does everything himself with the help of various special tools. Only the imagination sets limits.
- He makes the radio antennas from acupuncture needles.
- He makes the grass from cut false eyelashes, which he glues and paints.
- He has made about ten models with enormous detail so far. The three models in the pictures are Stridsfordon 9040 DSG, PBV 401 and tracked vehicle 309.
- The next challenge is to make models of military aircraft possibly.