New in Sweden

For you who are new in Sweden, there is a great deal of useful information available. At www.nyanlä, you’ll find information about a range of topics, including:

  • How Swedish society is structured
  • Living in Sweden: rights, holidays, traditions, etc.
  • Health and other care: What happens if you fall ill or need dental care
  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Finances
  • Family
  • Education

Important links for those holding a residence permit

Make sure to keep your residence permit decision in a safe place. You’ll need it in your contacts with government agencies and organisations.

In order to be entered in the national registry and get a Swedish civic registration number, you should contact the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

To be registered with the social insurance system, you should contact the Social Insurance Office (Försäkringskassan).

If you have questions about healthcare, contact the Västernorrland County Council (Landsting).

Read more about Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) under the menu Swedish for immigrants. (länka till 3:4)

If you are trying to find a job, you can register with the Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen).

Information about studies at universities or colleges can be found at the website of the National Agency for Higher Education (Högskoleverket) or at www.studera.nuexternal link.

For questions about post-secondary school aid (studiemedel), contact the National Board for Study Support (Centrala studiestödsnämnden (CSN)).

For questions about a driving licence, contact the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen).

For questions about the right to vote, contact the Election Authority (Valmyndigheten).

Publicerad: 2019-09-20